Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Population Explosions and How God Is Using A Power Pole

Have you ever felt like the world was spinning or time was moving faster than you could keep up? Well, that is how I am feeling right now. It seems like I will write a blog, publish it, and then five minutes later so much has happened that it is now out of date. It hasn’t even been three weeks since I last published a blog and yet so much has happened I have barely had time to breathe, let alone write. So I thought I would take some time this cold icy winter morning to share some, not all, but some of what is happening here at the Hyatt House.

First, the goat herd has grown to twelve. The last time I wrote nine goats lived on the property, three having just been born. I had no intentions of getting any more goats and then I received an unexpected email on February 2 offering me three Nubian doelings for only $200. Usually a good quality dairy goat sells for around $150 and up depending on the age and genetic history of the doe. The person selling the does is a friend and I know about her situation so I understand why she has decided to get out of the goat business and is selling so cheaply. At the time Rick was out of town and so I had no way on my own of picking up these goats. I phoned a ranching friend who said he would take me and so last Tuesday afternoon that friend, our pastor, and I made the 90 mile (145 km) each way to get the goats. They may be young (a tad under a year) and little, but one day they should make great milkers.

(From left to right: Daisy, Jasmine, and Tinker Bell)
 


Second, our chicken flock has increased. This was not a surprise. The chickens we were given last summer just have never produced. A few occasionally lay eggs, but for the most part they are simply enjoying all the food I provide them without giving anything back in return. We do have plans on culling them from the flock since they are not pets, but livestock. The 13 Rhode Island Reds chicks that were purchased last May have grown up and laying lots of eggs, but not enough to have plenty to sell. So I have spent the winter researching and thinking about buying more chicks. I put in the order a month ago and yesterday they arrived. I purchased Araucana’s, Black Australorp’s, White Orpington’s, and Buff Orpington’s. The United States Post Office does allow baby chicks to be shipped because the last bit of food available to the chick before they hatch out of the egg will sustain them for about 3 days. That allows the mother hen to continue sitting on the nest until all of the chicks hatch out of their eggs. The only other issue that is of concern is keeping the birds warm. That is achieved by shipping them in a container so that their bodies can keep each other warm. Therefore, there is always a minimum number that must be shipped. Since it is winter and therefore colder outside right now then it will be later in the year, I was required to purchase 25 chicks. After April the number drops to 16. It takes about 6 months for a chick to grow big enough to start laying eggs, so I wanted to get these chicks sooner rather than later. So I purchased 25 chicks. Most of these hatcheries will throw in a free exotic chick, often a rooster, and my box contained two extra chicks. Figuring out what breed the exotic chicks are is a task I will tackle later on.


Third, if you have been following this blog then you know there are lots of babies running around. We have Great Pyrenees puppies, who are not so little anymore, and goat kids. Last Thursday Abraham was taken to the vet to be fixed. He is healing nicely. Both Abraham and Sara are growing a lot and are already pretty big. The goat kids are already eating grain and hay, along with nursing on their momma. Even though Bella is feeding triplets, I am getting a couple cups of milk out of her daily, which tells me in a few months when the kids are weaned, I should be getting plenty of milk so I can start practicing cheese making, soap making, etc.

(Cocoa, Coal, & Pepper)
 
 (The other pup is inside the dog house)
 
On a different subject, you may or may not be a fan of Facebook. There are a lot of negative things about the social media, but when used properly Facebook can be a blessing. I have joined a lot of groups that have provided me with some helpful advice and taught me a lot. No matter what your interest is, there is most likely a group (or many groups) available on the subject. I am now a member of groups that focus on cheese making, soap making, homesteading, gardening, goats, rabbits, chickens, livestock guardian dogs, etc. I love the online garage sale group5s. All the little towns around here have their own town online garage sale group page and I have found some good deals through them. The way these garage sale groups work is if you have something to sell you post a picture of the item and a description and/or price. So far I have found a standup freezer for $350, cement cinder blocks for a fraction of what new costs, windows, a workbench, and a free old washing machine which will be converted into a chicken plucker. I have also sold several items, both personal and for a neighbor.
 

(picture taken Feb. 2011)




Two weeks ago an ad showed up from someone needing a power pole. Since purchasing this property there has been a power pole lying in front of the house. I have no idea why it was there or how it got there as the power company brings their own poles and doesn’t leave them lying around. I know because I asked. Well, when I read the ad, I posted a response that I had a power pole. After some facebook communication I learned this person had just gotten out of the hospital and is now on oxygen. She is no longer able to work to support herself. A friend is allowing her to live on his land but they needed a power pole to hook up electricity to a camper. I am always thrilled to help out a disabled person so I let them have the pole for free. Two Saturday’s ago the woman and her friend came out to pick up the 24 foot power pole. While Rick helped the friend place the pole on his trailer, they spent some time talking. Rick has been in jail ministry for years and has pastured a church. The chronically ill woman’s friend is the manager at a restaurant in Camp Wood (a nearby small town). The restaurant owner, the manager, and several others have wanted to start a church for unchurched people in the area for some time now. They have a heart to reach the type of folks who will not set foot in a traditional church. The restaurant manager and owner were very excited to learn about Rick’s ministry history and asked him to come preach at the restaurant, which he did this past Sunday morning. Only a small crowd showed up, mainly people who want to get something going, but it was a good start and allowed for Rick to share with them some of his testimony and to preach on God’s view of love. After the service broke up and we had eaten lunch, Rick had a chance to minister to a man who came into the restaurant slightly drunk. The opportunity to reach out to those in need is great as this restaurant is a frequent hangout for bikers and others who would never step into a church.
  
We don’t know the future but it is clear God is at work and both Rick and I have a heart to follow where God leads. So we will once again be driving to Camp Wood next week to have church in a restaurant.

And finally, we have had multiple visits by this guy or his relatives (not sure).  At least we keep seeing Road Runners around the place.



No comments: