Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bella Had Triplets

Most evenings I go to bed early and wake up early.  This time of year the sun surfaces around 7am.  No matter what time of year it is and what time the sun comes up, my day officially begins before the sun even rises.  Then when it does rise, the chickens need to be fed and let out of the coop, the cats need to be fed, in addition to a number of other morning ranch jobs.  When the sun rises, it doesn’t matter if it is below freezing outside or a warm beautiful sunny summer day, there are animals to be tended too.
   
Yesterday was no different.  After getting up and working for a few hours, I decided to return to bed before the sun rose.  The sun had already made its appearance when Rick opened my bedroom door and yelled, “GET UP, WE HAVE BABIES!!!”  I was instantly fully awake and out of bed.  Rick was correct.  He had looked out the living room window and spotted babies. By the time I was dressed he had already put on his jacket, gone out to check on the new arrivals, let the rest of the herd out to graze so they would leave Bella and her Babies alone, and returned to the house to report she had triplets.  I grabbed the camera, the bowl of chicken food which I handed to Rick who let the chickens out of the coop, and then I too headed to the goat shelter to view the newest members of the herd.
 
 
Bella (proud momma) with her son, Coal.
   


The girls
 

 
Cocoa (doe)


 
Pepper (doe)


 
Coal (buck)

No comments: